As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn a small commission if you use my affiliate links, but there's no extra cost for you!
The United States of America is one of the top travel destinations for many people across the globe, even Americans choose to visit other areas using domestic travel rather than flying out. Places like Florida, New York and California often hit the top of the list. There are, however, a few rules you need to know about whether you’re an international or domestic traveller.
Have a look below at some of the things you should be aware of before you travel to America:
Before you embark on your journey to America there are certain things that you need to make sure you have ticked off your list. There is an element of careful planning that needs to happen when you travel to this country but you shouldn’t let that put you off. Some of the things to consider include:
- A Valid Passport – It is normal for most travellers to require at least six months on their passport in order to travel to America. Others only need it to be valid for the duration of their stay, this means that you need to do your research before travelling.
- Understand Your Visa Requirements – In most cases, you will need to apply for a visa through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). It’s best to research the USA ESTA before you book a trip.
- Rules On Transit – Even if you’re only travelling through America it is often a requirement to have an ESTA for your trip through customs. It’s important to understand the rules behind transit through America before you fly.
Once You Arrive
So you’ve arrived in America for your break away, now there are some considerations you need to make while you are here. Let’s have a look at them below:
- Sort Out Your Transfers Or Transport – Once you arrive in America it can sometimes be a little overwhelming, it’s often bigger, busier and louder than where you’re travelling from so it’s a good idea to have your transport or transfer organised before you arrive.
- Think About Your Mobile Data – If you’re an international visitor you might want to consider switching off your mobile data. You can often be heavily charged for using your mobile data in America. You could always have a look at any packages that your mobile service provides as some will offer a reduced rate or a set deal for any travel to the USA.
- Understand Tipping – It is common for travellers to America to trip up over the etiquette of tipping in the USA. Although it’s technically discretionary it’s an unwritten rule that you should tip between fifteen and twenty per cent of a bill when in American restaurants. This is because minimum wages are low in the States so tipping is a way that they top-up their income.
- Don’t Forget About Tax – When you see prices listed in the States these aren’t often the price that you will pay, this is because the price that you see listed is excluding tax. Take this into consideration when you’re shopping over there.
This short guide should help you when you’re planning a trip to America, do you have any other tips that you can share in the comments below?
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.