Last year (and maybe the year before actually) a friend & I decided that we were going to start a cake club – even if it was only the two of us, ha! Our first meeting was last week and the theme was an easy one – cupcakes. I always have to go that extra mile and as I still had some of my Reese’s hamper left from Christmas (I know, I’m not sure how either) I decided to take these. I have no words to describe them – they might just be the finest cupcake I have ever tasted (even if I do say so myself…). I’m addicted to Reese’s chocolate and peanut butter so these are perfect for me.
Ingredients (makes 10-12 depending on size of case)
- 150g butter
- 150g sugar
- 130g self raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- large bag of mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
- 150g Reese’s peanut butter
- 100g butter (room temp)
- 300g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to gas 5/375F/190C.
- Mix together the butter & sugar until smooth & creamy.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa powder and then mix into the butter & sugar a little at a time, with an egg each time.
- (Or if you’re lazy like me and use a stand mixer, chuck it all in at the same time and mix until a creamy consistency).
- Place cupcake cases into a 12 hole muffin tray and in each case put two or three tsp of cake mixture, then gently place a peanut butter cup on top (it doesn’t want to be touching the bottom of the case).
- Divide the remaining mixture between the cases to around two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the centre of the oven, until rounded on top.
- While the cupcakes are baking, you can make the frosting. In a clean bowl mix together the peanut butter and butter until well combined.
- Add the icing sugar and mix until smooth and well combined. It will be quite a thick consistency so add the milk and mix again to make it a little looser.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, spread the frosting on top using a palette knife – it doesn’t matter if they look messy!
- Cut the remaining peanut butter cups into quarters and place a quarter on top of each cupcake.