Now in my opinion, you can’t beat a good crumble. Usually good for autumn & winter, but it’s perfect for our ‘summer’ at the minute! We had acquired some fresh apples & blackberries so I thought I would use them together in a crumble for Sunday dessert. The oats in the topping make it extra crunchy.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 250 g blackberries
- 4 large apples, cored, peeled & diced
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 240 g plain flour
- 120 g butter, room temperature
- 120 g caster sugar
- 50 g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to gas 5/375F/190C.
- In the bottom of a large baking dish, place the blackberries & apples making sure they are spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, mixed spice, and sugar evenly over the fruit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, butter, sugar, and oats until they resemble breadcrumbs. Get your hands right in there!
- Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the fruit, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the topping is crunchy and golden brown.
- Enjoy (with custard or ice cream)!