Since I started my Slimming World journey, I have eaten a much larger variety of lunches. Previously it used to be just a sandwich as it was quick & easy and took less than a minute to throw together, but it did get a little boring every day and I soon realised how much bread and carbs I really did eat, which wasn’t so good with PCOS either. Recently I’ve found large flat mushrooms to be a really great alternative to bread, even being used as a pulled pork ‘burger’!
These stuffed mushrooms are one of my favourite lunches now though as they can be varied and you can use whatever you have in your fridge. Yes they take a little longer to cook, but they much tastier and healthier to boot. They are ready in less than fifteen minutes too, and if using cheese as your healthy extra, they are completely syn free!
- 2 large flat mushrooms, stalks removed
- 2 rashers of lean bacon, diced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 30g of grated cheddar cheese
- cous cous
- Fry Light
- Preheat your grill and grill the underneath of your mushrooms until almost cooked
- While the mushrooms are grilling, gently fry the bacon until cooked.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill and turn over. Scatter the bacon and spring onions around the mushrooms, then sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Sprinkle a little cous cous on top of the cheese – this just gives a little extra crunch, so you could leave this out if you wish.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms back under the grill until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve with speed salad or protein filled baked beans.