I revealed a while ago that I had been asked to become a founding member of the Dr Oetker We Bake community, and I was over the moon to accept! I’m so happy to see the delicious looking bakes on the site; there are so many talented, creative bakers in the We Bake community! My latest Dr Oetker bake is my contribution to our most recent bake club meet, with the theme of Frozen or snow; so I used a combination of both to come up with two different designs.
The biscuits themselves are crumbly, and easy to make; easy enough for the children to get involved too. The same goes for decorating them; I did the snowflakes on these myself using a coffee design template “thing”, but the kids can of course have fun creating their own snowflake design!
For one half of the biscuits I used the Dr Oetker Easy Choc White with a dusting of desiccated coconut; for the other half I used the Dr Oetker Neon Glitter Writing Gel in blue, to make snowflakes. Very simple, but I think they have a lovely impact!
Ingredients (makes 14-20, dependant on size)
- 90 g soft unsalted butter
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g plain white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tub Dr Oetker Easy Choc White
- desiccated coconut
- Dr Oetker Neon Glitter Writing Icing in blue
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour to the butter mix and mix until a dough is formed. Get your hands stuck in!
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for an hour or so.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to gas 3/170c/325f, and line a baking tray with grease proof baking paper.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until half a cm thick. (I use a silicone rolling mat).
- Cut out the biscuits and transfer to the baking tray. (I used two different sized circle cutters but you can use any). Roll up the trimmings and repeat to make more biscuits.
- Bake for around 12 minutes, until golden and still a little soft. They will harden as they cool.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely before decorating.
- For the ‘snow’ biscuits, follow the instructions on the Easy Choc and then half dip each biscuit into it, or drizzle on the biscuits. Sprinkle with coconut before it hardens or it won’t stick; this is where it’s handy to have a production line going as the Easy Choc sets quickly!
- For the Frozen snowflake biscuits, simply draw a snowflake design onto each one with the Neon Glitter Writing Gel. (Or use a coffee design template if you have one!)