One of my favourite ever Chinese takeaway dishes is salt and pepper chips – I could eat a carton of them to myself and I often get cravings for them, and whenever we do go down the naughty route and actually have a takeaway, I always order these – they are just so good!
With doing Slimming World I could have them but they would be a great almighty number of syns! I had a really bad craving for them one night but I wanted to stay on plan, so I thought I’d attempt my own salt and pepper chips; they were really tasty and pretty good considering they were baked and not deep fried, so this is now one of my favourite go-to fakeaway recipes.[affilinet_performance_ad size=728×90]
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and chipped (chunky)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- original Fry Light
- ground salt
- ground pepper
- Chinese 5-spice
- Preheat oven to gas 6/400F/200C.
- Par-boil chips for around 5 minutes, until soft enough on the outside to fluff up. Drain the water from the pan, then with the lid on, give it a good shake.
- Put the parboiled chips on a baking tray (I use a mesh chip tray) and spray with Fry Light until evenly coated.
- Bake for around 40-45 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When the chips are just about cooked, you can make the seasoning. Fry the onion and the chilli on a low heat for 2 or 3 minutes and then add the spring onion.
- Continue to cook until the onions and chilli are soft, then add the cooked chips to the pan.
- Toss well with the onions and chilli and then add salt, pepper, and Chinese 5-spice to taste (I like quite a lot as I do like them spicy!).
- Cook on the hob for a further two minutes or so until the chips are well coated in the onions, chilli, salt, pepper, and Chinese 5-spice.
- Alternatively you could make them in an Actifry or air fryer. Just parboil chips as second instruction, then cook in your fryer according to appliance instructions. Cook for 25-30 minutes; adding the seasoning 10 minutes or so before the end. There are different types of air fryers you can choose according to your need. There is an extensive review you can find here.
- Serve with your meal, and enjoy!