One of my favourite ever Chinese takeaway dishes is salt and pepper chips – I could eat a carton of them to myself and I often get cravings for them, and whenever we do go down the naughty route and actually have a takeaway, I always order these – they are just so good!
With doing Slimming World I could have them but they would be a great almighty number of syns! I had a really bad craving for them one night but I wanted to stay on plan, so I thought I’d attempt my own salt and pepper chips; they were really tasty and pretty good considering they were baked and not deep fried, so this is now one of my favourite go-to fakeaway recipes.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and chipped (chunky)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- original Fry Light
- ground salt
- ground pepper
- Chinese 5-spice
- Preheat oven to gas 6/400F/200C.
- Par-boil chips for around 5 minutes, until soft enough on the outside to fluff up. Drain the water from the pan, then with the lid on, give it a good shake.
- Put the parboiled chips on a baking tray (I use a mesh chip tray) and spray with Fry Light until evenly coated.
- Bake for around 40-45 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When the chips are just about cooked, you can make the seasoning. Fry the onion and the chilli on a low heat for 2 or 3 minutes and then add the spring onion.
- Continue to cook until the onions and chilli are soft, then add the cooked chips to the pan.
- Toss well with the onions and chilli and then add salt, pepper, and Chinese 5-spice to taste (I like quite a lot as I do like them spicy!).
- Cook on the hob for a further two minutes or so until the chips are well coated in the onions, chilli, salt, pepper, and Chinese 5-spice.
- Alternatively you could make them in an Actifry or air fryer. Just parboil chips as second instruction, then cook in your fryer according to appliance instructions. Cook for 25-30 minutes; adding the seasoning 10 minutes or so before the end.
- Serve with your meal, and enjoy!