As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn a small commission if you use my affiliate links, but there's no extra cost for you!
We don’t tend to eat risotto very often now as it’s time consuming and I never seem to have much of that spare anymore, but sometimes I just fancy it and like to add different ingredients for a change. We had a butternut squash in our veg box this week so I decided to add that. Of course you could also make it without chicken, I only added it in the end because hubby is a fuss pants!
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 a butternut squash, peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks
- 8 (approx.) large mushrooms , halved (I used regular mushrooms as it’s what I had in but you could use any variety)
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 1 litre of stock (I used vegetable, you could use chicken)
- 1 tbsp oil (or a few sprays of Fry Light)
- 175 g arborio rice
- thyme, to taste (or you could use sage, this was what I had in)
- Preheat your oven to gas 7/220C/425F. Place your squash in a deep oven tray and coat with oil, then roast for around 30 minutes until soft on the inside and browned on the outside.
- In a heated pan, fry the onion & garlic on a medium heat until soft, and brown the chicken.
- Add the rice and mix with the onion, garlic & chicken.
- Gradually add the stock, mixing well each time. Let the mixture simmer and when the stock has been absorbed, add some more.
- When you are nearly out of stock, add the mushrooms. (I add them near the end so they don’t overcook). Also add the thyme and cooked butternut squash.
- The risotto will be ready when the rice is tender. If it isn’t quite cooked once all the stock is used then just add a little water until it is.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.