As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn a small commission if you use my affiliate links, but there's no extra cost for you!

As little man is not yet even 2, he won’t get his free nursery funding until next year – despite this, hubby & I have recently been debating whether to place him anyway and obviously pay for it. After umm-ing and ahh-ing over various factors, we decided we would go for it (though I kept wondering if we were doing the right thing).

There is a perfect little private nursery just around the corner from us which we decided was the one – we signed him up for just one day a week (8 hours). When I went in to do all the form filling, little man spent half an hour in the toddler section. He went straight in without any fuss, but when he realised I had gone (into the office) I could hear him crying – I of course got emotional but the manager went through and he was OK, he just kept getting upset when other parents went in and he realised it wasn’t me. When I went to get him afterwards, he didn’t want to leave! After this small session, he had a 1 hour settling in session a couple of days after. This time he went in without any fuss and when I went to collect him, again he didn’t want to leave! 

He started with his first full day last week. He starts at 8am so I had to wake him up earlier, as he doesn’t usually wake up until around this time (or later). He was very sleepy but I gave him his milk which he drank in bed, and then he got up and dressed. I’d gotten his bag ready the night before so once we were both dressed we were ready to go. This time when I dropped him off, he went in just fine again, but then he turned around and saw me leaving and ran up to the safety gate screaming his head off. I was so upset knowing I was leaving him for the next 8 hours and I just wanted to go back and give him a cuddle, but I just had to go. I was restless for the remainder of the day after that happened, though I knew he would be fine eventually. 

When we collected him at 4pm, his key worker went through his day with us. She said he was a bit grumpy for around an hour after I left him but once he’d settled he was fine. He refused breakfast (probably because he was grumpy), but he then had some fruit at snack time, he had two plates of lunch (chilli, rice & naan bread – it’s one of his favourite meals) and then he had a bun at afternoon snack time, which they had made in the morning. He also had a play outside, he’d done some chalking, and he drew us his first nursery picture! He was also helping to tidy up when we arrived. The smile on his face when he saw us was (mainly) worth the upset from the morning – it was one of those priceless moments and confirmed that we had done the right thing – I think both him & I will gain so much from it. 

Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of, Inc, or its affiliates.


I’m Stacey, in my mid-late 30’s, from a tiny village (officially a hamlet) in Lincolnshire.

I’m a mum to two handsome boys. They’re both diagnosed autistic but that only makes them different, not less. Barney, a Frenchie x Beagle, is my furbaby. Owner of a husband too!

Blogging about lifestyle and books with a bit of everything else thrown in!

You may also like...


  1. How lovely. Bless him and you! #MagicMoments

  2. Looks like he was ready after all! Kids learn to adapt to new situations very soon. Maybe telling him that you'll return for him may help with the initial tears.

  3. Yeah, I think he is suffering a bit of seperation anxiety at the minute too, but I will tell him that I will be back for him soon 🙂

Leave a reply, I'd love to hear what you think! (If using your name and email you may want to take a look at my updated privacy policy to see how I use your information.)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.