I do love my slow cooker but admittedly, I don’t use it as often as I mean to. One of my favourite dishes that I always make in the slow cooker is a stew. I’ve been fancying something a bit different to a beef and vegetable stew, so I bought a gammon joint, and then just randomly chucked loads of ingredients in to make this smoky gammon stew; it turned out lovely! Perfect for a cold winter day. It’s also completely syn free on Slimming World!
I love my slow cooker, and especially at this time of year it comes out a lot. One of my favourite one pot meals to cook in there is a chilli. It’s usually a beef chilli but I decided to do a veggie one this time using the beans I received in my September Degustabox. I added a variety of tinned beans to make a 5 bean chilli – it’s totally syn free on Slimming World too, and makes a great EESP meal 🙂
This one is fairly hot but you could use mild chilli powder instead, or halve the amount of hot chilli powder. I love spicy food so I don’t mind the heat factor! You don’t have to use the same beans I’ve used either; whatever is available will be fine.
Most people I know love a good curry, but a lot of them can be greasy because the meat is either cooked in fat, or also very calorific because of cream added to it. Chuck everything in the slow cooker with no need to pre-cook anything, and you have a lovely healthy curry to go! I simply adore chicken in the slow cooker as it just melts in your mouth, this dish is no different. It’s Slimming World friendly too as it’s tomato based and there are only a couple of syns in it from the curry paste.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 3-4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large onion, cut into slices
- 1 large red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 500g box of passata
- 2tbsp curry paste (I tend to use Patak’s balti)
- Chuck everything other than the curry paste in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Add the curry paste and stir until well combined with the other ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Enjoy with rice and/or vegetables!