I guess this one isn’t so much of a recipe, more a different way of doing something to make it more interesting, and a salad in a jar actually keeps a few days in the fridge*! This also makes it really handy for taking to work, or if you have a busy routine at home and don’t have time to stand chopping salad for making your lunch during the day, you can make 2 or 3 of these salad in a jar up on a night time, then they can be taken from the fridge and either enjoyed straight from the jar or poured out on to a plate. Best of all, it is completely syn free*!
You can use salad ingredients you would most likely already have in so you don’t need to buy anything special, but the following are the ingredients I usually use.
- Hellman’s Fat Free Vinaigrette (or any other fat free/low syn dressing)
- grated carrot
- sliced cucumber
- sliced tomato
- diced yellow pepper
- sliced baby gherkins
- sliced radish
- pickled onions
- sliced spring onions
- shredded lettuce
- wafer thin ham, shredded (or any other meat)
- sliced boiled egg
- Pour some vinaigrette into the bottom* of a clean, large mason jar with an airtight lid with a rubber seal. This is important for it to stay as fresh as possible for a few days.
- Layer your salad ingredients, starting with the wet ingredients first; so carrot, cucumber, tomato etc.
- Place the shredded lettuce on top, making sure it doesn’t come into contact with the dressing.
- When ready to eat, pour onto a plate and add the ham and egg (you could also put these in the jar but I pack mine so much that they don’t fit!).
– If adding a dressing or vinaigrette to the salad in a jar, the jar must be kept upright so that the dressing doesn’t come into contact with the lettuce, as it will shorten its shelf life.
– The salad in a jar will keep fresh for 2 or 3 days in the fridge as long as the jar isn’t opened.
– On Slimming World it is syn free if you use the stated vinaigrette, or another fat free dressing.