So that time of the year is upon us again, you know, the day where the bunny brings us lots of chocolate – Easter of course! I’m not sure if you will have noticed but there have been Creme Eggs in the shops since the beginning of the year – I usually have my first one in the first few days of January, but I may have only had one or two so far this year…
Anyway, I’m also sure most of you will have seen photos of an amazing looking treat doing the rounds on social media, that is, a Creme Egg encased in chocolate cake, or as with my version, chocolate brownie. I was absolutely dying to try one of these and after some thought, I decided to have a go at making my own! I used my basic brownie recipe for these then just cut circles out from the brownie sheet and wrapped the Creme Eggs in them. If you want to have a go, read on for the recipe…
Ingredients (makes 6)
- 200g milk chocolate
- 200g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 125g plain flour
- 1/4tsp salt
- 6 Creme Eggs
- 6 Flake chocolate bars
- Preheat oven to gas 4/180c/350f. Grease an 8 x 14in rectangular baking tin and line with baking paper.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, and melt with the butter in a bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until thick and creamy, then stir in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour and salt, then pour into the baking tin.
- Bake for around 25 minutes, or until a wooden cocktail stick comes out clean. Place the tin on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime, crumble up the Flakes onto a plate and set aside for later. (You could use Twirls if you can’t find Flakes).
- When cool, remove the brownie from the tin and using an 8cm round cookie cutter, cut out 6 circles. (Before doing this you may need to carefully remove the very top with a serrated knife if it has gone crunchy).
- Remove the circles from the brownie sheet and with a rolling pin, carefully roll each one out until roughly the thickness of a £2 coin.
- With the rolled out brownie in the palm of your hand, place a Creme Egg in the centre and mould the brownie around the Egg until completely covered, then roll the Scotch Brownie Creme Egg in the Flake.
- Repeat until you have 6 Scotch Brownie Creme Eggs.
These are best kept in the fridge until served.