I was deeply saddened recently to hear the news of the little boy who died from choking on a grape. Unfortunately though, this isn’t an isolated incident as children choking on food is more common than you think. 40% of parents asked by St John Ambulance have witnessed their baby choking, with almost four-fifths not knowing what to do in such a situation.
We may be one of those parents that thinks “Oh it will never happen to my children”, but what if it did? Would you know how to deal with a choking incident? I must admit, before this I myself haven’t been aware but it’s one of those things I should have learned from the beginning, from before having children.
I suppose I should feel lucky that a choking incident hasn’t happened to one of the boys, as I would feel devastated if one of them died and I blamed myself because I didn’t know how to deal with it. It really is just unthinkable and unimaginable.
This is why a quad of celebrities including David Walliams and Sir John Hurt have teamed up with SJA to produce the following video demonstrating how to save a choking baby, so that all parents & carers can be aware. They take on the roles of four potential objects that could choke a baby – a small princess toy, a pen lid, a jelly baby, and a peanut.
You can also find out more information about #thechokeables campaign here.
I’m also able to offer you the chance to win a SJA first aid kit like the one pictured below – just enter via the Rafflecopter.
Terms & conditions Open to UK residents 18 & over. Entries must be received by 11.59 pm on 31/10/2015. The winner will be drawn randomly via Rafflecopter/random.org when the giveaway has ended and will be sent an email informing them they have won. The winner has 28 days to respond to the email or a new winner will be drawn. I will send the prize directly to the winner.