Now don’t get me wrong, even though I’m following Slimming World I do still eat ‘proper’ cake. Sometimes I will begrudgingly syn it but other times I will just completely ignore it and hope for the best! This is one of my new favourite Slimming World recipes though, it tastes a lot like a chocolate orange and is definitely worth the 2.5 syns a piece. This recipe uses chocolate Philadelphia but you can also use chocolate spread (50g will make them 2 syns each), it’s just as tasty. I made it for our latest group taster session and it went down really well!
Ingredients (serves 24)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50g caster sugar
- 5tbsp sweetener
- 150g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 small tub fat free Quark
- 4 tsp Choc Shot
- 2 clementines, segmented (you could also use drained tinned mandarin segments)
- Preheat oven to gas 5/190C/375F and line a 24cm x 16cm (approx) rectangular cake tin with baking paper.
- Place everything except the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until thick & pale.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to a soft peak, then fold into the other ingredients.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake is firm to touch, then leave to cool.
- Mix the quark and Choc shot then spread evenly over the top of the cake and cut into 24 pieces.
- Place a clementine on top of each square.