When I made this cheesecake, I just fancied something lemony, and I was thrown back to the boozy lemon cheesecake I made last year. I wanted this one to be child-friendly though, and that it was. It has just the right amount of lemon flavour, and the ginger gives it just a little more zing. It is quite sickly though so it might go further than the stated servings, it depends how much sweetness you can take!
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 150g digestive biscuits
- 50g butter, melted
- 500g cream cheese
- 397g condensed milk
- 150ml double cream
- 2tbsp sweetener
- 6tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp lemon zest
- yellow food colouring
- grated crystallised ginger for decoration
- In a bowl, crush the biscuits until they resemble fine crumbs. You could also blitz in a food processor but I like taking my anger out on them with a rolling pin.
- Mix the biscuits with the butter and press into the bottom of an 8 inch spring form cake tin. Pop in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to harden.
- In a large bowl, lightly whip the cream cheese and mix with the condensed milk.
- In a separate bowl, whip the double cream until a thick consistency.
- Add the whipped cream to the cheese & milk mixture with the sweetener, lemon juice & zest, and a drop of yellow food colouring and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and pop back in the fridge to set, preferably overnight.
- Sprinkle some grated crystallized ginger over the top for decoration.