The dangers of carbon monoxide – a campaign & giveaway (CLOSED)

Do you know how safe your home is? I mean, if you have small babies or toddlers then you probably have stair gates, socket safety plugs, blind cords attached to the wall; you most likely lock your door to keep your home safe when you go out; you most definitely make sure candles are blown out before you go to bed? But did you know about the silent killer? That is, carbon monoxide poisoning.

Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die (with the elderly and small children being most at risk). That’s 40 more than it could be if everybody had a carbon monoxide detector in their home. Understandably in the current climate you may think that they are too costly, but can you really put a price on life, on the danger of something you might not know is there? We do have one in our home, though we only installed it a couple of years ago, so if we did have a carbon monoxide leak we would be warned of it; but what can you look out for if you don’t have one?

  • If the flame on your cooker is orange or yellow, you should get it checked because it should be crisp and blue
  • Dark staining on or around appliances
  • Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves, or the cover of gas fires
  • Pilot lights that frequently go out
  • Increased condensation inside windows

Also being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and therefore acting quickly could save your life. The main six to look out for are:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

They are very easy to mistake for other illnesses but carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially far more dangerous.

CORGI HomePlan are campaigning about the importance of everybody having a carbon monoxide detector in their home and they have created a microsite to help you be aware of the dangers of gas appliances in your home.

If you don’t already own a CO detector, I am so pleased to be able to offer one to a lucky reader in this giveaway.

Just complete the Rafflecopter and off you go!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

More competitions at www.theprizefinder.com



Terms & conditions
Open to UK residents 18 & over.
Entries must be received by 11.59 pm on 29/05/2015.
The winner will be drawn randomly via Rafflecopter/random.org when the giveaway has ended and will be sent an email informing them they have won.
The winner has 28 days to respond to the email or a new winner will be drawn.
I will send the winner’s details on to the PR and the prize will be sent directly from the PR.



*Shameless plug to consider voting for us in the Mad Blog Awards!*

Tots100 MAD Blog Awards

42 thoughts on “The dangers of carbon monoxide – a campaign & giveaway (CLOSED)

  1. I was aware of the dangers especially with recent events in news about holiday apartment with Thomas Cook I think. I have been silly really and not bought one, to be UK est I have relied on the yearly service of our boiler which is also silly. Thank you for the info and the chance!

  2. I am now after being on holiday in a caravan and got carbon monoxide poisoning thankfully still here to tell the tale, unfortunately I don't have an alarm at home though x

  3. I am aware of the dangers as at Uni I got carbon monoxide poisoning from a fire in the hair salon that was 4 storeys below me. Ended up in hopsital but could have been a lot worse if the fire fighters hadnt come and kicked my door in

  4. Yes, I am most definately aware of both the dangers and the symptoms, as many years ago, we had a new boiler fitted, but it was fitted incorrectly, and without us knowing, was leaking carbon monoxide into our home. The boiler was in a cupboard next to our baby son's room, and he started showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Thankfully we took him straight to hospital, and thankfully he suffered no long lasting effects!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge