When I first heard about overnight oats – basically cold porridge – I wasn’t too sure about the idea. I’ll admit, the first couple of times I tried it I wasn’t so keen. But after a bit of experimenting, this combination of ingredients and the container make them just beautiful and they’re one of my favourites now – the boys seem to love them too! If I don’t eat the full jar for breakfast then I save the rest for a snack or dessert later in the day as they are very filling – and only 1.5 syns for the whole jar if you use the oats as your healthy extra!
Ingredients (single serving)
- 35g plain porridge oats
- 450g pot fat free Greek style yogurt with honey (1.5 syns, or free if you use plain)
- berries (I’ve used raspberries/blackberries/blueberries, but frozen mixed berries work just as well – in fact they make the oats more moist from the extra juices)
- Weigh out your oats in a separate bowl (or if you read this post you will find a top tip for measuring them out!).
- Starting with the yogurt, layer your ingredients up into a jar – I use a 500ml clip lid one. I usually do 3 layers of yogurt/oats/fruit.
- Leave overnight in the fridge for the yogurt and fruit to soak into the oats.
- Remove from the fridge when ready to eat and give it a good mix.