Every couple of weeks we get a fresh fruit & veg box delivered and one of the fruits that is nearly always in there is a pineapple. I usually make a smoothie with it but now it’s winter, I fancied making some kind of dessert with it. An all time classic – a pineapple upside down cake. So simple yet yummy, served either hot or cold with custard.
- 150 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 pineapple rings
- Preheat oven to gas 5 / 375F / 190C.
- Grease and line an 8 inch round cake tin with grease proof paper.
- Beat the butter & sugar until smooth & creamy.
- Beat in the eggs and flour bit by bit, then add the vanilla extract.
- In the bottom of your tin, place five of your pineapple rings around the outside edge, then the final one in the middle.
- Carefully spread the cake mixture over the pineapple rings.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Eat on its own or serve with custard. Enjoy!