Many of my friends know I LOVE to bake. I regularly make chocolate cakes as my husband is a chocolate addict, and of course he loves my baking (who doesn’t?!). This one I made at Easter to take friends for after dinner, and it was so delicious, but a little sickly!
Chocolate lover cake
(for the cake)
135g self raising flour
160g caster sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 tbsp milk
I have stated 2 eggs on this recipe as a guide, but what I usually do is weigh my eggs in their shells, then use the equivalent amount of flour, butter & sugar, and it makes a light & fluffy cake.
(for the butter icing & decoration)
500g icing sugar
cocoa powder (replace some of the icing sugar with cocoa powder, to your taste)
1 tsp milk
18 two finger Kit Kat’s or 9 four finger Kit Kat’s
4 large bags of Mini Eggs
Instead of using Kit Kat’s, you could use chocolate fingers or cigarillos, and Smarties instead of Kit Kat’s, or even strawberries if you want to pretend it’s healthy!
- Preheat the oven to gas 5/ 375F/ 190C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add the eggs bit by bit, adding a tbsp of flour each time. This will help stop the eggs from curdling.
- Add the rest of the flour and cocoa powder, and mix thoroughly, then add the milk.
- Pour mixture into a tin (I use a 6.5 inch silicone one) and bake for around 30 mins, until a skewer or cocktail stick poked in the centre comes out clean (or with crumbs on). I usually turn the cake half way through so it cooks evenly on both sides.
- Meanwhile, mix the butter in a clean bowl, until light & creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar & cocoa powder until it is thick & smooth, then add the milk.
- Leave the cake to cool, then cut in half. You could also bake in two tins to save cutting.
- Spread some of the butter icing inside, then place the cakes one on top of the other. Cover the outside of the cake in icing.
- As soon as you have done this, you need to get the chocolate on, so it sticks to the icing to stay in place. First place the Kit Kat’s around the outside, making sure there are no gaps. Then just empty the Mini Eggs/Smarties/strawberries on the top!
- You could also decorate with ribbon to hold it further.
|Chocolate lover cake|
|Chocolate lover cake|
|Chocolate lover cake – inside|